Below you will find abstracts from some of the most important, recent journal articles and books about the community college. You can also obtain information about research studies being conducted by CSCC members and explore other projects by following the research links.
Click here to read our "Research & Reports Blog"
J. M. Beach. (2011). Gateway to Opportunity? A History of the Community College in the United States. Stylus Publishing. ISBN-10: 978-1-57922-451-6
Pamela L. Eddy. (June 2010). Community College Leadership: A Multidimensional Model for Leading Change. Stylus Publishing. ISBN-10: 1579224164
Deborah J. Boroch, Laura Hope, Bruce M. Smith, Robert S. Gabriner, Pamela M. Mery, Robert M. Johnstone, & Rose Asera. (April 12, 2010). Student Success in Community Colleges: A Practical Guide to Developmental Education. Jossey-Bass ISBN-10: 0470455551
Andreea M. Serban. (November 25, 2009). Journal of Applied Research in the Community College: Volume 17, Number 1, Fall 2009. New Forums Press. ISBN-10: 1581071728
Rosalind Latiner Raby (Author, Editor), Edward J. Valeau (Editor). (March 23, 2009). Community College Models: Globalization and Higher Education Reform, 12t edition. Springer. ISBN-10: 1402094760
Richard Alfred, Christopher Shults, Ozan Jacquette, & Shelley Strickland. (February 16, 2009). Community Colleges on the Horizon: Challenge, Choice, or Abundance (Part of the American Council on Education Series on Higher Education) Rowman & Littlefield Education ISBN-10: 1607090821
John Kowal. (December 21, 2008). Faculty Decision-Making in Academic Departments of Two-Year Colleges: A Survey-Based Study of Faculty at Community Colleges in New York State. VDM Verlag Dr. Müller. ISBN-10: 3639105850
Arthur M. Cohen & Florence B. Brawer. (August 25, 2008). The American Community College, 5th edition. Jossey-Bass. ISBN-10: 0470174684
Karrie D. Mitchell. (June 10, 2008). Finding Their Way: Cultural Capital Facilitators and First-Generation Community College Students. VDM Verlag. ISBN-10: 3639019628
Janice M. Borlandoe. (May 27, 2008). Thinking Styles of College Women Leaders: A Case Study of How Information is Processed at Community Colleges.VDM Verlag. ISBN-10: 3836496682
Gail O. Mellow & Cynthia Heelan. (January 28, 2008). Minding the Dream: The Process and Practice of the American Community College Rowman & Littlefield Education ISBN-10: 0742562921
Community College Review (CCR)
Community College Journal of Research and Practice (CCJRP)
New Directions for Community Colleges
Research in Higher Education
Review of Higher Education
Journal of Higher Education
Journal for Applied Research in Community Colleges (JARCC)
- Office of Community College Research and Leadership (OCCRL) (University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign Mission is to use research and evaluation methods to improve policies, programs and practices to enhance community college education and transition to college for diverse learners in Illinois and the United States.
- Office of Community College Research and Policy (OCCRP) (Iowa State University) Goal is to provide relevant and timely research and policy information that will inform scholars, policymakers, practitioners, and leaders about the role and impact of community colleges on individuals and society.
- 21st Century Educational Leadership Profiles Project (University of Florida)
Serves as a resource for higher educational institutions in candidate selection for administrative positions and/or professional development plans for existing personnel.
- American Association of Community Colleges
Participates in a wide variety of national projects and programs, such as Tech Prep, health and HIV, and service learning.
- Center for Community College Policy (Education Commission of the States)
Supports the development of public policy that encourages the development of effective and innovative community colleges across the United States.
- Community College Research Center (Columbia University)
Promotes research on major issues affecting the development, growth and changing roles of community colleges in the United States.
- Community College Survey of Student Engagement (University of Texas-Austin)
Provides information on learning-centered indicators of quality for community colleges. The survey is a versatile, research-based tool that will be useful to colleges as a benchmarking instrument, diagnostic tool, and monitoring device.
- League for Innovation in the Community College
Leads a number of projects and competitions with member colleges, corporate partners, and other agencies.
- Bill J. Priest Center for Community College Education
Handles issues related to public policy and community colleges, including finance, administration, and alternative teacher certification.
- Center for Urban Education (University of Southern California) Leads socially conscious research and develops tools needed for institutions of higher education to produce equity in student outcomes.